Visit our websiite at www.artandsoulpreschool.com

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Fizzy Paint

It has been a Fizzy Week at school.  My previous post was on how we have been exploring different reactions using vinegar and baking soda.  Of course the children cannot get enough of these experiments. 
So, I found a recipe that I adapted to make baking soda paint, and was curious what would happen if the children made paintings that they later would fizz.
 
 
I mixed up a bunch of paint and the children painted as they usually do. 
These paints actually had some really nice colors.


I did not measure out for these paints, but what I did was put 3-4 teaspoons of baking soda into the container, I squirted a little shaving cream, and added the food coloring.  If the paint was too thick, I then added a tiny bit of water.  You want the paint to be on the pastier side, but also fluid enough to paint with.


After the children were done, we put their paintings on a tray and they squirted vinegar onto them.

As they did a couple squirts,, I told them to pause and watch the reaction taking place on their paintings.  If they don't pause it will be over and done with in seconds, you know how they love to use spray bottles.

 
 

It was neat to see these painting fizz and bubble.  They dried nicely as well, but were rather pasty and a little flaky, so they were definitely more for the experience then for the keeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment